Thursday, November 3, 2011

Body Weight - A mystery?

           Many of us who have tried to lose weight or gain weight, can assert that despite working out or altering the portion size of meals, weight does not budge even a pound or kilogram. But after a long period of sustained and disciplined work-out and improved eating habits, the results manifest as weight changes. Why is there a delay? What is happening in the first few weeks or months?
           Going by my instincts, gaining or losing weight without any change in lifestyle is not a good sign. There is an underlying subtler cause that we are not aware of. I lost weight unexplainably last summer - without any change in diet or added work-outs. Though I am not unhappy about it, I have been watchful of the changes in my daily life routine, observing carefully for the root cause and being aware of other symptoms. This alertness and consciousness probably lead to the Eureka moment I had today.
          It occurred to me today that the energy/vitality/praaNaa is probably where the impact is occurring, when we start our work-out regime. Our praaNaa controls our breathing, circulation, excretion of waste products, metabolism, digestion, clarity of thinking and comprehending and energy level experienced during the day.
           Even from the little vedaantaa that I have assimilated from my Chinmaya Mission Study groups, I should have known that praaNamaya kosha is within the annamaya kosha; it took so long for my dull witted brain to make the connection :)

  1. annamaya kosha (Food sheath - physical body/organs sustained by food)
  2. praaNamaya kosha (Vital-air sheath)
  3. manomaya kosha (Mental sheath)
  4. vijnaanamaya kosha (Intellectual Sheath) and
  5. aanandamyaa kosha (Bliss Sheath)

are the five sheaths covering the soul of a human being, listing from the outermost or the grossest to the innermost or subtlest. So the effects of physical training or any training of the body, mind and spirit proceed from the innermost layers expanding outwards, over time.
           People who are flabbergasted by their inability to lose or gain weight despite their sincere efforts, should understand that they are working on the more subtler energy flows within their body when they do not see the change in body weight. It is just a matter of time before it reflects in the gross matter/our physical body. From my own experience, I can honestly say that even after a few work-outs, I have always felt happier, energized, observed an improved skin tone, etc. etc. So My friends, don't go by the scale, go by how you feel for the first few weeks of your physical training. Results are just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment